miércoles, 6 de octubre de 2010

DIALECTICAL JOURNAL: INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS. PAGES 6-16

Passage: One of the parts I liked the most form these pages is Coronel Hans Landa's metaphor regarding Jews and rats. He talks about how people feel repulsed by rats for no particular reason, just as the Nazis are repulsed by Jews. He describes the similarities in the survival skills of Jews and rats, and how both thrive under terrible conditions and persecution. (Tarantino 11-13)

Comments: Although I am myself Jewish, I don't feel insulted in the least bit by Coronel Hans Landa's metaphor. I rather admire Tarantino's writing. The way Landa speaks convinces the reader. As much as I disagree on the similarities between Jewish people and rats, I cannot help but notice the good points in Landa's comparison. I really enjoy how Tarantino presents this metaphor. It not only becomes part of Landa's interrogation strategy, but it also characterizes how the Nazi thinks.

Passage: The interrogation and eventual confession.

Comments: As I read these pages I couldn't stop thinking of Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. The scene reminded me of Petrovich and Raskolnikov. There are incredible similarities between both Landa and Petrovich and LaPadite and Raskolnikov. LaPadite and Raskolnikov are guilty. The psychological torment of facing the very man who can condemn them for the crime they have committed makes them reveal themselves. In both cases, the investigator seems to already know that they are talking to someone who is guilty. Landa and Petrovich sense the nerves in their opponents and know instantly that something is up. There is no doubt that Tarantino had some sort of influence from Crime and Punishment in the making of this scene.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario